Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Stitched Narrative

Getting started was a bit difficult. Finding a story I wanted to embroider was also tricky.

I thought I wanted to stitch the one camisole I had brought to the workshop, and at the beginning I was quite stubborn in trying to keep the camisole intact. By the middle of the week, I just cut the whole thing up, and fortunately didn't feel an ounce of regret. The back part of the camisole is what you see.

This is the story of my grandfather (symbolically of course),  and how very important he was to me. The birds, "la garza," poem and handkerchief in the back are all because of him. I didn't discuss this with the group at all, as any talk involving my grandfather involves a tear or two, and I really didn't feel like crying.

The poem I stitched was found through serendipity, which is how I like to find most things. Thank you Mary for the poem.

The poem "I thank you God for most this amazing" is by E.E Cummings. I loved this poem, (I love poetry a lot), and this one spoke to me that day, which is what I love most about poetry, it finds you, and it speaks to you at the right moment.

I also tried to stitch it in the form of a letter, as if it was coming out from the inside of that little envelope.

And I do thank God for everything in my life, I've always have, so this poem seemed like a perfect fit.

And my 3 guys that are always in my heart.

So this is what I did when I was actually doing something. I also talked a lot, got distracted by this or that, went to the pool a couple of times, and learned a stitch or two (but those are somewhere else).

It is much easier to show someone else's work, admire it and compliment it. When it comes to our own work, all of sudden our judging wand goes bonkers. Why, oh why, are we so tough on ourselves??

I hope you have a wonderful day.
Giova.

9 comments:

  1. Me toco el por ahi de mis dias........ Divino!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You speak so well....the words that I feel should also come from my mouth. Thank you for being able to write so simply how things feel and how YOU feel about them.
    I love what you did...and how you have finished it. I am very grateful for having met you, my dear new friend...... xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jone, you are so sweet. In this particular case I was better at writing, usually I don't mind talking, but this is still a sensitive matter, i guess some matters remain sensitive through out and i actually like it like that ;) i'm grateful for you too!

      Delete
  3. I really like the embroidered words, it's still your handwriting but has a more sensitive touch to it, I think. And the little postcard is really sweet. Don't be so tough on yourself, this is such a personal and endearing piece of work, filled with love. You can be proud of that!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judith. It has love in abundance so of that, I'm pretty proud.I'm glad you liked the embroidered words.

      Delete
  4. That is so beautiful Giova.... I love poetry too and have never stitched words.
    I did a recent book making workshop that involved stitching - it was with Francis Pickering. I also started to make a book about my grandmother and our shared love of sewing. Maybe I will have to attempt stitching some of my words in there.........
    Thank you for sharing this post on the Paperlove page... I am so glad I found it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandie for your lovely words. I hope it inspires you to make the book about your grandmother and you. Embroidering can be quite soothing (in so many ways).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...