Tuesday, July 10, 2012

This Belongs To...

This is the last week of school for my oldest son. The week where there is not much to do except "hang out," and have activities such as; 2012 olympic day! As a requirement the kids need to go in their national costume or the colors of their flag. Here is where it gets a bit complicated. He was born in the US, has an Italian nationality (because of my family), and speaks spanish like a Colombian, although he has only lived there for one year out of his 11! So where is he really from? And then the little one was born in Barcelona, but only has an Italian passport, and now lives in Amsterdam, which flag does he get to take? This topic is brought out quite often in this household. Where do we really belong? Is it about where you spent most of your childhood? But in the past 11 years we've moved 7 times, so where does this leave my oldest? I guess these are all rhetorical questions. For now I'll settle that they both belong to me, that is, until they are old enough to leave and find out where they belong!






Let's see what flag he decides to take! I'd love to know, do you feel quite at home wherever you are? Do you feel that you belong to a certain nationality, and you wear those colors proudly?

Happy Belonging,
Giova.

10 comments:

  1. mis charlas con los artistas cuando hablo de mi trabajo siempre resaltan que mis mapas son una reaccion a eso! I belong to wherever I've been to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asi que vestida de que te irias y con la bandera de donde?

      Delete
  2. CIUDADANOS DEL MUNDO!!!! Estigmatisaron la BANDERA DEL ARCO IRIS!!!! Pero ... sera que hay una bandera del universo? Esa ES!!! Esa SERIA!!!! Y esos hombres que se ven de "refilon" son DIVINOS!!! CIUDADANOS DEL MUNDO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pertenecemos al universo infinito jajajaja y esos babies yo me los pido!

      Delete
    2. pintate una bandera para mandar a Luca con eso la próxima vez, y si no leyo bien el post esos babies son de MOM!!!

      Delete
  3. ESTIGMATIZAR!!!!! (correccion ortografica) Uf!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some months ago, I went into the same question in my own blog: Where is home? Is my home still in Cali? I don't feel Cali as being my home. Neither London. I think home is where your beloved ones are. For nomads like me (and you), the beloved ones are a bit everywhere. Home is where your heart has left a little mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right, I always feel I belong to my family, and wherever we are that is where I belong, the only problem is my oldest doesn't know what to answer when people ask him; "where are you from?" Lately, when people ask me that same question, i say "from everywhere!"

      Delete
  5. jaj! te acordas que el otro dia hablamos de eso? esto de pronto ayuda a tu respuesta jajajajajaajajaj

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y usted su merce se va a ir con la bandera italiana??

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...